SWEET APPLE TRAX (vol. 1 and vol. 2)
Company: Contra Band Music
matrix: 4182A / 4182B / 4182C / 4182D - REV-2000 (REV-2000 is on all sides)
release date: November, 1974
The track listings include the Nagra roll numbers and reference numbers from the most recent edition of the book Drugs, Divorce and A Slipping Image.
1. TENNESSEE (Roll 99A - DDSI.9.87)
2. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE dialogue (Roll 99a - DDSI.9.88)
3. HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN (Roll 99A DDSI.9.89)
4. dialogue COMMONWEALTH (Roll 99A - DDSI9.90)
5. ENOCH POWELL (Roll 99A - DDSI.9.91)
6. GET OFF! (Roll 99A DDSI.9.92>) (Part 1)
7. GET OFF! (Roll 99A DDSI 9.92>) (Part 2)
8. FOR YOU BLUE (Roll 100A DDSI 9.93)
9. GET OFF! (Roll 100A DDSI 9.94>)
10. HONEY, HUSH (Roll 100A - DDSI.9.96)
11. FOR YOU BLUE dialogue & riffs (Roll 100A DDSI 9.98)
12. dialogue & riffs LET IT BE (Roll 106A DDSI.9.124)
13. dialogue & count-in GET BACK (Roll 114A DDSI.10.35)
14. dialogue & count-in DON'T LET ME DOWN dialogue & count-in (Roll 420A DDSI.22.38)
15. TWO OF US (incomplete) (Roll 92A DDSI.9.37)
16. dialogue BAA, BAA, BLACKSHEEP (Roll 92A DDSI.9.38)
17. dialogue & riffs DON'T LET ME DOWN dialogue (Roll 92A DDSI.9.39)
18. dialogue SUZY'S PARLOUR (Roll 92A DDSI.9.40)
19. dialogue I'VE GOT A FEELING (Roll 92A DDSI.9.41)
20. dialogue GET BACK (NO PAKISTANIS) (Roll 97A DDSI.9.64)
Company: Contra Band Music
matrix: 4181A / 4181B / 4181C / 4181D BLD-2002 (last numbers on all sides)
release date: November 1974
1. LET IT BE (Roll 101A DDSI.9.109)
2. SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW (Roll 97B DDSI.9.53)
3. BE BOP A LULA (Roll 97B DDSI.9.54)
4. dialogue & German count-in SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW (Roll 97B DDSI.9.55>)
5. SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW dialogue & riffs (Roll 97B, DDSI.9.56>)
6. SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW (Roll 97B DDSI.9.57)
7. dialogue & count-in SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW (Roll 97B DDSI.9.58>)
8. HIGH-HEELED SNEAKERS (Roll 107B, DDSI.10.24>)
9. I ME MINE (Roll 86B DDSI.8.99<>)
10. I ME MINE (Roll 86B DDSI.8.100<>)
11. dialogue I ME MINE (Roll 85B DDSI.8.96)
12.dialogue I ME MINE (Roll 85B DDSI.8.97)
13. I'VE GOT A FEELING (Roll 97B DDSI.9.44)
14. I'VE GOT A FEELING (Roll 97B DDSI.9.44)
15. dialogue, riffs & count-in ONE AFTER 909 (Roll 97B DDSI.9.46)
16. dialogue & riffs NORWEGIAN WOOD (Roll 97B DDSI.9.50)
17. count-in SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW (Roll 97B DDSI.9.52>)
18. count-in SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW (Roll 97B DDSI.9.53>)
19. LA PENINA (Roll 97A DDSI.9.68)
20. SHAKIN' IN THE SIXTIES (Roll 98A DDSI 9.84)
21. MOVE IT/GOOD ROCKIN' TONIGHT (Roll 98A DDSI.9.85)
22. dialogue ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (Roll 98A DDSI.9.83)
23. dialogue & count-in TWO OF US (Roll 115A DDSI.10.46)
24. dialogue & riffs TUNING (Roll 101A before DDSI.9.106)
25. RAMBLIN' WOMAN (Roll 101A DDSI.9.106)
26. I THREW IT ALL AWAY (Roll 101A DDSI.9.107)
27. MAMA YOU BEEN ON MY MIND (Roll 101A DDSI.9.108)
28. dialogue & riffs I ME MINE (Roll 85B pre DDSI.8.88>)
29. I ME MINE (Roll 85B DDSI.96>)
30. I ME MINE (Roll 85B DDSI.97>)
31. dialogue I ME MINE/DOMINO (Roll 85B DDSI.8.98>)
Sound Quality: EX-mono
Twickenham Studios: January 1969
excepting 14, volume 1: Apple Studios, January 1969
These two records were released simultaneously and were the first bootlegs to feature actual film outtakes from the Let It Be sessions. They are both enjoyable collections and still worth having. The two records were a deluxe release, compared with the other CBM releases, realized when the bootlegged moved back to Colorado from Alaska, where he had spent some months. A very good pressing plant was used and the sound quality of these is excellent. Many songs were mistitled on the original printed jacket, and others were not listed at all. Many of the performances are fragmentary, indicated by the "<" "<>" or ">" symbols after the DDSI numbers.
These LPs were originally announced under the title THE APPLE TREASURE CHEST MASTERS VOL. 1 and VOL. II.
Only the original Contra Band records, pressings derived from them and counterfeits are listed here. Other releases of this material, such as those on Wizardo Rekords, will have their own entry.
1. November, 1974 (photos below the title). The first pressing originally appeared with “deluxe’’ sepia printed jackets, on good quality vinyl with yellow Instant Analysis labels. The back cover of Volume 1 was used as the front cover of Volume 2, and reciprocally the back cover of Volume 2 is the front cover of Volume 1.
2. February, 1975. This had the same jackets as the first release and orange Instant Analysis labels.
Late 1975. This repressing used a b/w xerox of the front cover. The records were pressed at a poorer pressing plant, in thicker vinyl. The pressing mark on these is a ring at 31 mm from the hole. The track listing was printed in black or red, and the record usually had blank labels in various colors or occasionally other labels. The sound quality is slightly inferior.
1976. The two records of SWEET APPLE TRAX VOL. 1 of the 1975 repressing were used for a reissue with a nice cover, titled SWEET APPLE TRACKS CRATE 1 (with record 2 of the release on blank orange label) and SWEET APPLE TRACKS CRATE 2 (with record 1 of the release on blank yellow label). A strong embossed black jacket was used.
Late 1976. A repressing of the two records with the original jackets had red labels with big Godzilla or light blue labels with SHALOM, and they were again pressed in good quality vinyl with a small ring at 7 mm from the hole.
INTEREST. The original pressing on yellow Instant Analysis labels has a great historical value and is indispensable in any collection; luckily it is not rare (***). The repressings in lower quality have no real interest (*), except the one with the nice "fruit" box cover, which is desirable and uncommon (**/***).
The records with the b/w insert were counterfeited in lesser quality with matrix CBM-1. These had blank or other labels.
HOT AS SUN and derived releases
Company: CONTRA BAND RECORDS
Matrix Number: 4216 A REV 2000 A COMBO / 4216 B REV 2000 b / COMBO (disc 1)
4217 A BLD 2002 COMBO A / 4217 B BLD 2002 COMBO (disc 2) (with number 42 scratched on sd. B)
Release Date: February - March 1975
Disc 1 and 2 of Sweet Apple Trax Vol. 1
Disc 1 and 2 of Sweet Applex Trax Vol. 2
Sound Quality. EX mono.
In early 1975 CBM joined the two SWEET APPLE TRAX VOL. 1 and VOL. 2 double LPs in a unique 2-LP set.
The first pressing (photo here above) came with a b/w cover, that featured the J. Fish drawing printed on the back. This is rather surprising, since these printed jackets were used by the company between February and summer 1974. However, since the bootlegger moved to Alaska after the summer of 1974, coming back to Colorado at the end of the year, these jackets may have remained in storage while he was away. The records, in excellent quality, had the orange Instant Analysis labels.
In late 1976 the 2-LP set was distributed with red labels with the larger Godzilla drawing, and A/B/C/D side indications.
Late seventies. The Japanese ZAP Records counterfeited the two original SWEET APPLE TRAX records using the original covers, but with the same photo on front and back (rather than with the reciprocally inverted back covers as in the CBM records) directly printed on the jackets, with Volume 1 printed in orange background and Volume 2 in green background. The 2 records were single LP, that is, they are copies of Side 1 (Vol. 1) and Side 2 (Vol. 2) of HOT AS SUN and had black labels with trak listing and a CBM indication. The machine-stamped matrix numbers were, respectively, ZAP 1055 A 11I / ZAP 1055 B 11I (Vol. 1) and ZAP 1056 A 11I / ZAP 1056 B 11I (Vol. 2).
INTEREST. An interesting release for the japanese market and for completists. **
IMPORTANT: The record HOT AS SUN, with rubber stamped title, by RUT record has no relation with this CBM release (which was reissued by TAKRL under the similar title "Hahst Az Sön"). Two more records titled HOT AS SUN exist. One is a double album in colored vinyl with a deluxe cover and bonus CD, released in 2014 and with a new cover in 2020, and the second is a single LP, also in colored vinyl, subtitled "THE MISSING ALBUM", with a fake Kornyfone label. released in 2013. These also have no connection with HOT AS SUN by CBM.